Caramel custard- baked not steamed.
For the caramel
- Sugar 10 gms
For the custard
- Egg 1
- Sugar 15 gms
- Milk 150 ml
- Vanilla essence ¼ t
- Preheat oven at 160 deg.C.
- Melt sugar in an aluminium mould till golden brown in colour. Rotate the mould to spread caramel evenly.
- Beat the egg and sugar together.
- Warm milk and keep aside.
- Pour egg-sugar into warm mild. Add essence and strain. Pour this mixture in the aluminium mould that has the caramelised sugar.
- Place this mould in a container of water such that the water level is a little below the rim of the aluminium mould.
- Bake covered at 160 deg.C for 45min to 1 hour.
- Invert and serve hot or cold.
Source: Basic Food Preparation
Mandira’s notes: This caramel custard takes quite long to bake but the end result is worth it.Even if you wish to eat this custard hot, give it sometime to cool before you invert it, else it will break for sure. I like the texure and taste of baked caramel better than steamed caramel. It certainly sets better than teh steamed version. This is what I think can be considered a “healthy” desert- its basically milk and egg with a little bit of sugar so its not high calorie is anyway.