Never a fan of tutti-frutti, not even as a child, I still wanted to make a small tutti frutti cake yesterday. Browsing through the internet, I found that there is no standard/commonly used/popular recipe. Everyone seemed to have made their own version. So I did exactly that. The results were good and I share them with you here.
- 2 eggs
- 100 gms maida
- 100 gms sugar( I used brown sugar)
- 100 gms butte/ cream ( I used fresh cream)
- 1 tsp baking power
- 1/2 C tutti frutti
- 1/4 C raisins
- few crushed cashews
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1-2 tbs milk
- Sift flour and baking powder.
- Beat eggs till fluffy. Add the sugar (powdered is better) and when well incorporated add the butter/cream and vanilla essence.
- Fold in the maida- baking powder. If you find the batter is too thick, add 1-2 tbsp milk.
- Throw in the tutti-frutti and raisins.
- Pour into a greased tin. Decorate with cashew on top and bake at 180Deg.C for 20 mins. or till done.
The cake was light and the brown sugar added a lovely layer of flavour. If you prefer a richer cake (tutti frutti cake is better when rich), use butter in place of cream. Also a dash of rum may add to the flavour.