This is what I call “cheesy and easy”!! It takes just about 5 minutes to put it all together!
- Maida-60 gms
- Baking powder-1/3 tsp (optional)
- Salt -to taste
- Pepper -to taste
- Butter- 30 gms
- Grated processed cheese-30 gms
- Egg yolk-1/2 + a little for basting
- Water-just enough to bind.
- Pre heat oven.
- Sift flour, salt, pepper and baking powder together.
- Add the butter and gently rub it in till it begins to look like fine bread crumbs.
- Stir in the cheese and bind together with egg yolk and water to form a thick dough.
- Roll out the dough and cut into strips.
- Bake the strips on a well greased tray at 160 deg.C for 7-10 mins.
Source: Basic Food Preparation
Mandira’s notes: The egg yolk in this recipe is totally avoidable. In fact the yolk lends an eggey smell to the cheese sticks. Though the baking powder is mentioned as optional, I think it should be added because it makes the biscuits light. Towards the end of the baking time, it makes sense to repeatedly check on the biscuits ,else you run the risk of making them too brown. Please refer to picture below to know what over done biscuits look like! If you like, you could reduce the cheese quantity a bit- I love cheese, so I would never do that, but if you like it less cheesy, knock of 5-10 gms of cheese.