A side dish and for a change one that doesnt contain potatoes!!
- 1 medium cabbage(about 500 gms) cut into 1 “ squares
- 4 tomatoes
- ½ C grated carrot
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 Cwater
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- Blanch tomatoes. Remove skin and chop.
- Heat oil, add grated carrot and chopped tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes. Blend in a mixer.
- Remove blended tomatoes and carrot in a bowl, add vinegar, salt, sugar,soya sauce and mix well.
- Mix cornflour in 1C water and add this to the tomato mixture. Pour into a pan and cook on stove till the sauce is thick and translucent.
- In a greased baking dish, place the cabbage pieces.
- Pour sauce over cabbage and mix gently.
- Bake in an oven at 280 deg.C for 20-25 minutes till cabbage is done.
Notes: If you are partial to flavours of Chinese cooking you should like this. The only problem with this dish is that it seems a bit too high on the tomato content- the tomato taste is a bit over whelming. It would be a good idea to play that down a bit…but I dont quite know how… The cabbage comes out pretty crisp inspite of being baked. The crunchy texture was appealing to me. so make this dish if you can figure out a way to tone down the tomato.