A baked dish of vegetables that was modified a bit to make a one dish meal.
- 3C diced mixed vegetables(French beans, carrot ,peas, potatoes, cauliflower)
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp butter softened
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp maida
- 2 tbsp butter softened
- 1 C milk
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2C chopped spinach
- 1C cream
- 6 tbsp grated cheese
- Parboil or microwave vegetables. Strain and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter, sauté the chopped onion. Add the mixed vegetables and sauté foe 2 mins. Add chilli powder and salt. Keep aside.
- For the white sauce, heat 2 tbsp butter, add the maida and still for a minute. Add milk salt and pepper. Cool till it thickens a bit.
- Cook the spinach separately till dry. Cool and blenderize to a puree. Beat the cream lightly, add the spinach and white sauce to it.
- Mix the vegetables to this sauce. Mix 3 tbsp grated cheese.
- Pour in a dish, cover with the remaining cheese and bake at 200 deg.C for 20 mins.
Source: Nita Mehta’s Bakes and Cakes.
Mandira’s notes: I did two things to the original recipe- i got rid of the cream that was added to the spinach and I added macarone along with the vegetables to get a one dish meal. I think the cream was totally superfulous- may be it made it creamier and richer but it wasnt an essential part of the recipe and thats exactly why it was avoided. The macarone added volume ( and carbs)to the dish and made it a full meal by itself.