Bread and butter pudding is quick, healthy and very filling.
- 10 gms butter
- 1 bread slice
- 10 gms currants
- 22gms sugar
- 175 ml milk
- 1 egg
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Grease a baking dish.
- Butter the slice and cut in into neat slices about 2″ thick. Lay them on the dish with the buttered side up.
- Sprinkle currants and sugar.
- Beat egg. Warm the milk and pour it into the beaten egg. Beat till well mixed.
- Pour egg-milk mixture gently into the baking dish over the bread slice.
- Bake at 180 deg. C for half an hour or till well set.
Source: Basic Food Preparation.
Mandira’s notes: This is an easy to put together pudding. In fact its one of the easiest I have ever made. Plus it has the distinct advantage of using ingredients that are almost always available at home. I used a few pieces of apricot along with the raisins. You could add any chopped dry fruits that you have at hand. The nutmeg adds a pleasant flavour to the pudding. Make sure to have it evenly spread out all over the top of the pudding.. eating bites of concentrated nutmeg is not nice!!