An easy to put-together crumble using one of the best fruits for baking- apple.
For the crumble
- 45g all purpose flour/ rolled oats
- 45g wholemeal flour
- 20g caster sugar
- 45g margarine or butter
For the filling
- 400g apples
- 50g sugar
- 1tablespoon water
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Peel and core and cut the apples into slices or chunks.
- In to a saucepan add the sugar, water and apple pieces. Cover and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes. Remove and place in a small oven proof dish.
- Mix the whole wheatflour and all purpose flour in a bowl. Rub in the butter till it resembles an even crumb texture. Add the sugar and mix.
- Cover the fruit with the crumble mixture. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the crumble is golden in colour.
Source: Original recipe from Jamie Oliver’s website.
Mandira’s notes: Lakshmi mentioned the word “crumble” to me sometime around chirstmas. No crumble happed then, but I found this recipe at Jamie Oliver’s site that I sounded really easy. I added maida/all purpose flour instead of the oatmeal mentioned in the original recipe and increased the total quantity slightly. Some comments on Jamie’s website mentioned that more crumble would have been nicer. So instead of 35 gms each of the maida/oatmeal and wholewheat flour, I used 45 gms. It comfortably covered the apples. I added a dash of cinnamon. Cinnamon and apple make a heavenly combination. The end product was good-warm sweet apples covered in a crisp coat.
Lakshmi’s Notes: I did not cook the apples in sugar water and neither did I peel them. I used rolled oats as mentioned in the original recipe. A crumble with oats in my humble opinion is much better than a crumble with just flour. I added a fistful of crushed walnuts – a crumble with nuts is deliciously divine. You will notice that I have failed miserably to cover my apples with the crumble mix – there were far too many apples and much less butter in the house. And yet the crumble was as crumbly and scrumptious as ever. Although perhaps apple juice counter on that particular day would have proved more profitable in monetary terms, I have no regrets whatsoever with the three bowls of ice cream that I had with warm apple crumble. Thankfully, I had the sudden sense to take a photograph before the crumbly vanished away. This is such a fluffy and child friendly recipe I recommend you make it with your toddler.