Here’s presenting the first official pudding of this blog!!
- Rice 20 gms
- Milk 300 ml
- Egg 1
- Castor sugar 22gm/11/2 tbsp
- Jam 10 gms/2 tbsp
- Egg white 2
- Castor sugar 15gm/1 tbsp
- Preheat over at180 deg.C.
- Cook rice and milk together till thick and creamy in a saucepan over slow heat. Add water if needed.
- Cool slightly and beat in the egg and sugar.
- In a over proof dish, spread the jam at the base. Pour the rice-milk mixture over it.
- Bake at 180deg.C for 15 min or till set.
- For the meringue, whisk the egg whites with gradual addition of sugar till stiff peaks are formed.
- Spoon this egg white-sugar mixture over the baked rice covering it completely.
- Bake at 180 deg.C till the meringue topping is slightly coloured and crisp.
Source: Basic Food Preparation
Mandira’s notes: This is the first time I attempted a pudding that has meringue and was pleasantly surprised to discover it wasnt that difficult. I think my meringue got a tad too brown, all because of my mortal fear of serving partially cooked food. It would probably taste better if it were a lighter brown. The rice-milk mixture(minus the egg) reminded me of kheer. The egg only seems to thicken the pudding at the time of baking. Vegetarians may leave that out and cook the rice and milk for longer to get a thicker consistency.(thats my guess but I am no expert). A added a few drops of vanilla essence to the rice-milk mixture when I incorporated the egg mainly to avoid the eggy smell.
Note to Lakshmi– do the pictures inspire you to undertake the “painful beating egg whites” process?