Apples are a great fruit. They taste good , smell divine and allow you to do a lot with them-baking wise.
- Maida – 1 cup
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Fresh Cream (Heavy) – 1/2 cup
- Apple puree – 3/4 cup (approx 1 medium apple)
- Apple wedges – approx half or 1 apple cut into wedges – depending on size of apple
- Demerara Sugar – 2-3 tbsp
- Cinnamon – a small stick
- Cinnamon – 1/2 tsp powdered
- Vanilla – a few drops
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Cooking Soda – 1/4 tsp
- Curd – 2 tbsp
- Line baking tin/muffin pan.
- Sieve Maida with Baking Powder and Cooking Soda together.
- Powder Sugar and Cinnamon stick.
- Cream powdered sugar with fresh cream and Apple Puree. Add Curd. Fold in the Maida.
- Transfer cake batter to baking tin. Lay apple wedges in the batter and push them half way into the batter. Sprikle with demerera sugar and cinnamon powder.
- Bake at 200 C for 50 minutes or until browned and skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
Source: Sweet and Simple Bakes
Lakshmi’s notes: I replaced the eggs in the original recipe with apple puree. For the loaf I baked (pic below) I have used an apple crumble topping instead of just demerara sugar.Please note that it turns out darker than what is indicated in the picture – since Mandira skipped the topping and I used an apple crumble topping, our cakes look lighter. The recipe also works well for muffins – reduce baking time by 10-15 minutes since muffins bake much faster.
Mandira’s notes: This is my first eggless cake. I have some kind of a mental block against eggless cakes-thats why I have never tried one before!My first attempt wasnt bad. It tasted ok but it wasnt as nice as my other cakes are. I am told by Chef Lakshmi I lack practice!